• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortagage Interest paid by someone else

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jim861

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I have a condo in the city with a interest only mortgage, and have run into some finanacial difficulty. Can someone else pay the interest on the mortgage and take the deduction. I do not want to sell or refinance this and do not want too effect the property tax status on this.
If I can do this how would I go about getting the deduction to them as the mortgage is in my name and social number.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I have a condo in the city with a interest only mortgage, and have run into some finanacial difficulty. Can someone else pay the interest on the mortgage and take the deduction. I do not want to sell or refinance this and do not want too effect the property tax status on this.
If I can do this how would I go about getting the deduction to them as the mortgage is in my name and social number.
No, someone else cannot pay the interest and take the deduction. In order to claim a mortage interest deduction the home must be your principal residence or second home, you must be obligated under the mortgage to pay it, and you must actually pay it. Whoever else paid it for you would at least fail the test of being obligated under the mortgage to pay it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">