• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mortgage interest deduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L.A. lady

What is the name of your state?CA
I posted this in the mortgages section but they sent me to the tax section. Anyway My boyfriend and I bought a house in August. I was the only one that qualified so my name is on the mortgage. We have not filed a quit claim deed yet. My boyfriend has paid the entire mortgage since we moved in. Can he deduct any or all of the mortgage interest even though he is not on the mortgage or title?

abezon

Unless you & he have a signed, notarized agreement stating that he has to pay you the mortgage. BTW, you need a written agreement regarding coownership, who pays for what, who claims the itemized deductions, & what happens if you break up. At least talk about it & write something down.

You should set up the agreement so that only 1 person claims the itemized deductions & the other claims the standard deduction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">