• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortgage Interest Deduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrpaladin

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

If parents are making the Mortgage Payments and paying the Taxes on a house they are living in, how can they take the tax deductions.
Given the fact: Loan and title in son's name and son not taking deductions.
How can a written agreement between son and parents be drawn up or is just copies of checks proof enough for IRS. I noticed someone suggested issuing 1098 and 1096 forms. I would be interested to know, I read TC memo 1997-551 in favor of taxpayer, are there other newer cases in favor.

seniorjudge

I am NOT a tax lawyer, but I believe that the person who owns the land is the one who must take the tax deduction.

Why don't you take the deduction and then give your folks what they would have gained if they had been able to take it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">