• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mortgage interest deduction on foreign property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ls100

I am permanently resident and working in California and currently renting accomodation. In July this year, I bought a property in the UK. This is the only property that I own. I do not have an income or pay tax in the UK.
Can I deduct the interest from my UK mortgage on my USA tax return?

Last edited:

L

loku

From what you say, the interest you pay qualifies as deductible home mortgage interest.

The following is excerpted from IRS Publication 936, Home Mortgage Interest Deduction, which I suggest you read. You can download the Publication for free at: http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/forms_pubs/index.html.

Generally, home mortgage interest is any interest you pay on a loan secured by your home (main home or a second home). The loan may be a mortgage to buy your home, a second mortgage, a line of credit, or a home equity loan.

You can deduct home mortgage interest only if you meet all the following conditions:
• You must file Form 1040 and itemize deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040).
• You must be legally liable for the loan. You cannot deduct payments you make for someone else if you are not legally liable to make them. Both you
and the lender must intend that the loan be repaid. In addition, there must be a true debtor-creditor relationship between you and the lender.
• The mortgage must be a secured debt on a qualified home.

For you to take a home mortgage interest deduction, your debt must be secured by a qualified home. This means your main home or your second home. A home includes a house, condominium, cooperative, mobile home, house trailer, boat, or similar property that has sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities. The interest you pay on a mortgage on a home other than your main or second home may be deductible if the proceeds of the loan were used for business, investment, or other deductible purposes. Otherwise, it is considered personal interest and is not deductible.

Main home.You can have only one main home at any one time. Generally, this is the home where you spend most of your time.
Second home.A second home is a home that you choose to treat as your second home. Second home not rented out. If you have a second home that you do not hold out for rent or resale to others at any time during the year, you can treat it as a qualified home. You do not have to use the home during the year. Second home rented out. If you have a second home and rent it out part of the year, you also must use it as a home during the year for it to be a qualified home. You must use this home more than 14 days or more than 10% of the number of days during the year that the home is rented at a fair rental,

L

ls100

thank you

Thank you for your quick reply.
It is very good to know that I can deduct the UK mortgage interest. I will read the page that you suggested to confirm.
Thank you again, you are doing a very worthwhile job, this is a brilliant web site.
best regards

nj_suresh

Thank you very much**************

Hi Mr. LOKU,

Thank you very much for your good explanation regarding Mortgage Interest deduction.

I was looking for this answer for the past 2 months.

My case is:
Originaly from India and right now I am living in Atlanta, Georgia for the past 5 years. I bought a land and build a home through Bank Loan at the end of year 2006. Somebody told me that I can deduct the India Mortgage interest and I was searching answers in lots of forums. Now I got my answer here.

This is the only home that I have in my name and my family is living in their right now. My Loan was secured by the same home and 10% cash of total loan. This 10% cash was paid to the builders at the time buying the house.

My question is:
0. Is my case eligible for Mortgae Interest Deductible or not?
1. If YES, what kind of documents that I have to get from my Bankers to sumit to IRS?
2. Can I deduct property tax that I had paid at the time of purchasing the land?

Please give me some suggestions.
Apprecaite your early reply!

Thanks!
Suresh

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">