• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mortgage interest total deduction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baker10

My husband is a self employed contractor. In the last few years, our accountant has only deducted a percentage of our mortgage interest pd and real estate taxes based on the size of my husband's office compared to our total house size. I always thought that mortgage interest was totally tax deductable and had nothing to do with whether or not your business was ran out of your home. This year, we had a much higher interest payment ( about 7,000 more) and I would of course like to get what we are entitled to as far as a refund. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

abezon

It's all deductible, but only the percentage relating to the home office is deductible on schedule C. The remainder is claimed on schedule A if you itemize.

baker10

Thank you! That clears things up for me. I guess in previous years, we took the standard deduction rather than itemizing. Just our mortgage interest alone is higher than the standard deduction this year, so I will make sure our accountant itemzes our deductions. Thanks for your reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">