• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother's estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommajayne

What is the name of your state?IL
My mother died in August. She hasn't filed a federal tax return in years due to not meeting the requirements to. I was advised not to open probate for her estate as the only asset was her home which was valued at less than $250,000, the lawyer told me I didn't have to according to state law. I do have a few checks made out to her estate that I can't do anything with because there is no estate account. Lawyer said it would end up costing me more than what the checks were worth. I have sold her house, we haven't closed on it yet, so I am assuming I will need to file an estate income tax return for the sale of the house. Not sure how that will work, as there are 4 beneficiaries, any advice on that?

Thanks.

abezon

File Form SS-4 to get an EIN for the estate, then open a bank account. The estate will file a 1041 to report the sale of the house & any other income or expenses. This is not the same as opening probate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">