• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Municipality Tax on Income Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pablobono

What is the name of your state? Ohio

When I moved to Ohio in January of 2004, I filed Form IT-4, the State of Ohio - Department of Taxation's "Employee's Withholding Exemption Certification".

I earned income for almost the entire year in a municipality that has a city income tax. I was unaware of this tax, until the general election, when an increase to the city income tax was rejected, and reported in the newspaper.

Upon contacting my employer, they admitted that they'd made a mistake in that they failed to make the appropriate deductions, stating that "Ohio tax law is very confusing". I've asked them to provide some relief in my local tax obligation, but they have refused.

I can appreciate that it is the associates responsibility to settle his or her tax liability, but given the circumstances, do I have any recourse?

abezon

Let's see. You have received an interest-free loan from your city for the last year & now you have to pay the money they should have been getting all year long. How exactly have you been damaged?

No, you have no recourse. But don't let the city charge you penalties, as your tax liability to the city last for 2003 was $0.

pablobono

abezon said:
Let's see. You have received an interest-free loan from your city for the last year & now you have to pay the money they should have been getting all year long. How exactly have you been damaged?

No, you have no recourse. But don't let the city charge you penalties, as your tax liability to the city last for 2003 was $0.

I guess my questions was realted more toward my employer than the city. The tax liability will be settled with the city, whether it's from myself or from my employer. I suppose I should have asked, "after filing the appropriate paperwork with my employer, does my employer have any obligation to deduct the appropriate taxes from my payroll, and if so, and they don't, what options are availiable to remedy the outstanding tax liability?"

abezon

Your options are to pay the tax. Double check your pay stubs to make sure they are deducting the tax now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">