• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

must I pay income tax on the sale of my motel in NV when buying home in WA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helenawall

Nevada Motel that me and my husband is running we still owe $130.000
if sale is $210.000 and motel is now used as pri**** residence also.will we have to pay income tax if we use the income to purchase a new home to be used as pri**** residence in WA for $275 000 ?

abezon

You will have to pay taxes on the capital gains. You cannot defer taxes when you replace a business asset with a personal use asset, nor when you replace personal use assets.

dallas702

....assuming the $210,000 actually is a gain over the original price. A motel in NV selling for that price might very well be a "loser". Unless it is a closed brothel, or in a dead mining town, I can't imagine much of a motel for $210K. But, Abezon is right...you can't mix the apples and oranges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">