• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my back tax case simple enough to go straight to IRS or should I hire help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bogdonovich

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

For tax year 2012 I filed for extension and paid an estimated amount. I then forgot to file for real by the deadline of Oct 15 2013. Still haven't filed. My reason is psychological issues if that can help for penalty abatement.

For tax year 2013 I filed using TurboTax and e-filed but the e-file didn't go thru because of an error. I never saw the reject e-file email from TurboTax (until recently) and so I never filed and the payment that went along with that e-file didn't go thru either.

I have not been contacted about either year by the IRS. I did file for 2014 on time. I lived in Texas for tax years 2012 and 13 so no income tax.

What is my best step forward at this point? Should I hire a tax professional or just call the IRS and find out the penalties are and re-file for both years and pay up?

Can a tax professional help me save money?

davew128

Seriously? While I admit to having seen people develop psychological blocks towards tax filings, hate to break it to you but they don't get you out of penalty unless you have mental illness thats a lot more serious and debilitating.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

For tax year 2012 I filed for extension and paid an estimated amount. I then forgot to file for real by the deadline of Oct 15 2013. Still haven't filed. My reason is psychological issues if that can help for penalty abatement.

For tax year 2013 I filed using TurboTax and e-filed but the e-file didn't go thru because of an error. I never saw the reject e-file email from TurboTax (until recently) and so I never filed and the payment that went along with that e-file didn't go thru either.

I have not been contacted about either year by the IRS. I did file for 2014 on time. I lived in Texas for tax years 2012 and 13 so no income tax.

What is my best step forward at this point? Should I hire a tax professional or just call the IRS and find out the penalties are and re-file for both years and pay up?

Can a tax professional help me save money?
I would suggest a tax professional at this point. You want to make sure that both returns are as accurate as possible and that they actually go through (both 12 and 13 can still be e-filed).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">