• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are my costs as power of attorney deductible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wmcot

What is the name of your state?Colorado and Utah

My brother had been seriously ill with liver disease since 2003. In march of 2005, he was hospitalized for the final time. While he was in the hospital, I flew to Denver to take over his delinquent bills. He had given me durable power of attorney in 2003.

As POA, I reimbursed my flight, car rental, and meals from his account. Are those reimbursements to me deductible on his taxes as "Legal Expenses", "Investment Expenses," or "Certain other expenses" on the 1040 since I was reimbursed for my costs to manage his affairs during his hospitilization?

He did subsequently die on March 27th. I am trying to estimate his 2005 taxes since I am his estate's executor/personal rep. I want to make sure that every legal deduction is applied to his taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">