• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My spouse lives abroad now-how do I file?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seraglio

What is the name of your state? MA

Hi. I got married this year past (2004), and my wife is currently abroad. She left in October and will be returning in July. While she was here she earned no income. How do I file my taxes? Do I need to obtain an ITIN number for her? Do I need to report income she has earned abroad and paid taxes on abroad? We're just about to begin the Immigration paperwork, so she has no SSN etc. yet.

Thanks very much for any answers or advice you can give! It seems like a simple question to me... but I've been searching for hours and haven't found an answer yet!

Thanks!!

Snipes5

Of what country is she a citizen? Has she ever filed taxes here before?

If she is a citizen of Canada or Mexico you can file for an ITIN for her with your tax return.

She can also "elect" to be treated like a US citizen for tax purposes, but in that case would have to claim worldwide income on the return.

Your other, and simplest option, is to file "Married Filing Separately".

Snipes

seraglio

Thank you very much for your reply.

My wife is a citizen of Chile, and she's never filed taxes in the states before. She earned no income here, so I hope it's not necessary for her to right now.

I have no problem filing separately-that's what I would prefer, actually, but the tax software I'm using tells me that I need to include her information, including a SSN (or ITIN) on my return.

Is it possible to file separately without obtaining an ITIN for her?

Thanks!

Snipes5

Yes. When you do the return, see if there is an option for "NRA", which stands for Non Resident Alien. If not, you can put in a fake number, get the return to print, and then white out the fake number and put "NRA" in the box.

If you have applied for a number you can put "applied" in the box.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">