• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mysterious $1 difference in Capital Gains between Fed and CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

It's showing up as an adjustment, a $1 subtraction (difference between California and federal law) on Sch CA(540NR): California Adjustments on line 13, B. I'm a California Non-Resident. I had over 600 imported stock transactions. I definitely didn't make any adjustments, so why is TurboTax coming up with this, $1 difference?

Is it a bug in the program?

It says I have a capital gain of -1,247 on Fed vs. -1,248 on CA. Should I just leave the dollar be or manually cut it out?

I know this is a TurboTax problem, but this year nobody on their forum seems to be answering any of my questions.

Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

It's showing up as an adjustment, a $1 subtraction (difference between California and federal law) on Sch CA(540NR): California Adjustments on line 13, B. I'm a California Non-Resident. I had over 600 imported stock transactions. I definitely didn't make any adjustments, so why is TurboTax coming up with this, $1 difference?

Is it a bug in the program?

It says I have a capital gain of -1,247 on Fed vs. -1,248 on CA. Should I just leave the dollar be or manually cut it out?

I know this is a TurboTax problem, but this year nobody on their forum seems to be answering any of my questions.

Thank you.
Sounds to me like an artifact of the rounding process.

Thank you.

You're probably right on the rounding thing. Strange though that it would round differently on the CA.

So, don't worry about it, as in leave it be or should I fix it to be the same as the Fed?

tranquility

Yes, I was actively trading
This was my concern, are you an investor or a trader? While 600 trades alone does not a trader make, it is a high enough number to make me consider if you are looking for appreciation or market movement.

Schedule D is for investors. Schedule C is for traders.

This was my concern, are you an investor or a trader? While 600 trades alone does not a trader make, it is a high enough number to make me consider if you are looking for appreciation or market movement.

Schedule D is for investors. Schedule C is for traders.
Well it was over 600 imported transactions, but I noticed they sometimes report 1 order in several transactions if the order went through in several chunks. Also some are just wash sale adjustments. I was doing day trading trying to catch short term momentum. I did a lot of trades in several short time period and had long breaks in between. I only read 1 article about the trader vs investor thing, but it kinda seemed like I would fall more into the investor side, what do you think?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">