• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nanny taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freltr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello, I will be hiring a full-time nanny and have a question regarding the FUTA tax.

Can anyone please help me understand this: "Generally, you can take a credit against your FUTA tax for amounts you paid into state unemployment funds. The credit may be as much as 5.4% of FUTA taxable wages. If you are entitled to the maximum 5.4% credit, the FUTA tax rate after credit is 0.6%."

Does this mean that if I pay the nanny's state unemployment tax, I can take a credit against the federal unemployment tax and it will become less than 6%?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello, I will be hiring a full-time nanny and have a question regarding the FUTA tax.

Can anyone please help me understand this: "Generally, you can take a credit against your FUTA tax for amounts you paid into state unemployment funds. The credit may be as much as 5.4% of FUTA taxable wages. If you are entitled to the maximum 5.4% credit, the FUTA tax rate after credit is 0.6%."

Does this mean that if I pay the nanny's state unemployment tax, I can take a credit against the federal unemployment tax and it will become less than 6%?
Yes, that is what it means. However, the credit you take cannot be any more than the percentage of state tax unemployment tax that you pay, so forget about the 5.4%.

freltr

Thanks for the reply! So how can I determine the % of the credit I can take being located in Ohio?

LdiJ

Thanks for the reply! So how can I determine the % of the credit I can take being located in Ohio?
Basically, what is going to happen is that for the first year, assuming that your state unemployment rate stays at 2.7% (new employer rate) that you will be paying 3.3% for FUTA (6% - 2.7% = 3.3%).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">