• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice and Information For Saving Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bhavikkgandhi

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Dear Friends,

Let me give a brief idea about my situation for the year 2004, which will help you to suggest me a better guidance and information

1. I have been on student visa (F1) pursuing M.S. in 2004 from Jan 2004 – Sep 30 2004.
2. I got my H1B visa on Oct 1 2004.
3. I have been working on 1099 – Misc till Sep 30 2004 on F1 visa
4. I have been working on W2 from Oct 1 2004 – Dec 31 2004.

Following are the queries

1. Do I need to pay FICA when I am F1 visa, while I was working, i.e. from Jan 2004 – Sep 30 2004?
2. Do I need to pay FICA on my H1 for this year, as I was on F1 visa for the major part of the year 2004?
3. What are tax deductions can I claim?
4. Can I claim Job Search expenses as deductions, if I claim for standard deductions?
5. Can I claim for education expenses (fees, computer, certification exams and stationery) as deductions, if I claim for standard deductions? If yes, what else can I claim for educational expenses
6. What is the limit, I can invest in IRA and any advice on how should I do it?
7. Can I claim, gift to family members as an expense?
8. What are the other deductions or ways that I should claim to reduce my tax?
9. Can I claim car insurance as a deductions, as use it for work/office purposes?

If you have anyother inputs, that will help to saves taxes, feel free to inform.

Thanks

JETX

bhavikkgandhi said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

Dear Friends,

Let me give a brief idea about my situation for the year 2004, which will help you to suggest me a better guidance and information

1. I have been on student visa (F1) pursuing M.S. in 2004 from Jan 2004 – Sep 30 2004.
2. I got my H1B visa on Oct 1 2004.
3. I have been working on 1099 – Misc till Sep 30 2004 on F1 visa
4. I have been working on W2 from Oct 1 2004 – Dec 31 2004.

Following are the queries

1. Do I need to pay FICA when I am F1 visa, while I was working, i.e. from Jan 2004 – Sep 30 2004?
2. Do I need to pay FICA on my H1 for this year, as I was on F1 visa for the major part of the year 2004?
3. What are tax deductions can I claim?
4. Can I claim Job Search expenses as deductions, if I claim for standard deductions?
5. Can I claim for education expenses (fees, computer, certification exams and stationery) as deductions, if I claim for standard deductions? If yes, what else can I claim for educational expenses
6. What is the limit, I can invest in IRA and any advice on how should I do it?
7. Can I claim, gift to family members as an expense?
8. What are the other deductions or ways that I should claim to reduce my tax?
9. Can I claim car insurance as a deductions, as use it for work/office purposes?

If you have anyother inputs, that will help to saves taxes, feel free to inform.

Thanks
This is a LEGAL advice forum. Your question are more of an 'tax accounting' nature and can easily and quickly lead to a complex answers with lots of 'ifs and maybes'. I strongly suggest you quit trying to do this 'on the cheap' and go talk with a CPA, tax attorney or even a professional tax preparer.

Last edited:

Snipes5

Better yet, do a search in this forum, most of your questions have been answered repeatedly over the past several months. Just remember that you get what you pay for.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">