• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on Late filing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juthaman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
I filed tax through Taxact this year for both Federal and State on April 15th. I have been using Taxact for 4 or 5 years. They always file them together. This year i filed and forgot to check the confirmation. Apparently they filed only Federal didn't do State even after filling the state tax form and click file. I made an overpayment of 794$. With lot of personal problems i forgot to check whether state refund as made. Also didn't check the email. Now i got a mail from DOR Missouri saying i owe over 4000 plus including penalty. My question is if State owes me will i still have to pay penalty? What should i do now? FIle again now as they have asked to do so or should i check with a Tax attorney or Tax consultant?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
I filed tax through Taxact this year for both Federal and State on April 15th. I have been using Taxact for 4 or 5 years. They always file them together. This year i filed and forgot to check the confirmation. Apparently they filed only Federal didn't do State even after filling the state tax form and click file. I made an overpayment of 794$. With lot of personal problems i forgot to check whether state refund as made. Also didn't check the email. Now i got a mail from DOR Missouri saying i owe over 4000 plus including penalty. My question is if State owes me will i still have to pay penalty? What should i do now? FIle again now as they have asked to do so or should i check with a Tax attorney or Tax consultant?
Just go ahead and file your state return. You will have to do so by mail as it is past the deadline for filing electronically. I don't practice in Missouri, but if Missouri follows the procedures that most states follow there will be no penalty if you are due a refund. You will need to be careful to include all pages of the return with your filing and to attach copies of W2s or any other tax documents that contain withholding information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">