• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need answer to a question I have regarding IRA and Tax penalties

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MnM23

I recently opened a traditional IRA account and requested the bank to make the contribution for the year 2015. They made a mistake and made the contribution for year 2016! Once I found out about the mistake made 5 days after opening the account, I contacted the bank about the error and they gave me hard time by telling me that it's easy fix but I have go through writing a letter and having it faxed to them for the process to fixing the error. They were also not very attentive to my concern or courteous.

Well I decided not to bank with them cause the level of customer service I was getting was not so good. I went in to a local branch and asked them to close IRA account as I had decided to open it at a different bank. The representative that assisted me didn't know much about IRA and just closed it and cashed me out of my contribution as a distribution.

I then on the same day went to other bank where I opened another traditional IRA account in the year of 2015 where I wanted to make the contribution. So glad that I came to this other bank as they treated me with much more attention and detail. I was also informed that the original bank where I initially opened the IRA, the representative that closed my account should had told me do a transfer of the IRA instead closing it as a distribution. But he did also say that I am probably ok since I opened another IRA account within 60 days of closing the first one.

Now here is where I am very concerned about what happened and need confirmation or maybe clarification. Will I get penalized for closing IRA at the one back where the contribution was made for the year 2016 and then opening the another IRA account at a different bank in the current year of 2015. The original bank also never corrected year where the contribution was made before closing it. And to clarify, I opened the new IRA in the same amount as the one I closed and all this happened with in a span of one week.

Thank you all your help.

FlyingRon

If you're still within the same tax year you can take the money out without any distribution restrictions, taxation, or penalty. You can make a 2015 deposit until the tax filing date this year (April 18 I think due to when the 15th falls).
This doesn't even need any "rollover" procedure. They are two independent actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">