• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Direction-

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpgatour

AZ

I have a past tax bill due and would like to get married without having MY past effect my spouse. What kind of lawyer do I need to talk to and also I am also inquiring about ownership of property collected over the years ie. house cars etc... Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you

LdiJ

AZ

I have a past tax bill due and would like to get married without having MY past effect my spouse. What kind of lawyer do I need to talk to and also I am also inquiring about ownership of property collected over the years ie. house cars etc... Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you
First, how big is the tax bill and how old is it?

Your future spouse would not be effected if you maintain separate accounts and don't own any joint property. You would either file separate returns or your spouse would have to file an injured spouse form when you file your joint tax return.

tranquility

Your prior taxes are collectable against community property. I'm not sure you can disclaim your rights to your wife's generation of community property (wages etc.) to prevent collection activities against that half. Her seperate property should not be able to be attached. I'd see a family law attorney to ask about the effect of an agreement to transmute normally community property to seperate property in this instance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">