+ Reply to Thread
    LizzyH is offline Junior Member

Need guidance for income reported on form 1099-misc box 7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi, I received income from teaching once every few weeks. It was reported on 1099-misc, box 7. Do I need to pay self employment taxes on this? What kind of deductions can I use to offset this liability? Thanks, Lizzy
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LizzyH View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi, I received income from teaching once every few weeks. It was reported on 1099-misc, box 7. Do I need to pay self employment taxes on this? What kind of deductions can I use to offset this liability? Thanks, Lizzy
    Yes, you have to pay self employment taxes.

What kind of expenses do you have related to the income?
    LizzyH is offline Junior Member
    Hi,
    I drove an hour and a half each way. Do I need to have proof to deduct driving expenses? What are the other possible deductions? Thanks
    hokdon is offline Junior Member

Related question about 1099 MISC, Box 7...

except the income is NOT derived from employment at all. I received money in 2008 from the developer of my condo complex for 'referring' a new buyer (my friend) to the community. He bought and settled, so I received the money. That's the only income in Box 7. How do I report that? I'm in an endless 'do loop', since I do not consider myself 'self employed' as defined by the IRS and therefore do not have any of the entries related to Form C.

1040 Instructions tell me to go to the 1099 MISC form for direction - which leads me back to the IRS rules. And back again.

I've read the rules the developer is following in completing the 1099 MISC, and it seems like they could have put the income in Box 3 just as much as they could justify it for Box 7.

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!
    tranquility is offline Senior Member
    What would you consider employment?

Doing work for which you are paid?

You can either put it on schedule C and take off expenses used to earn the income or put it on line 21 and don't take off the expenses. Be sure to check into appropriate filing of schedule SE as well.