• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help cp2000 notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lokiatoukaysy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Wisconsin

Just got a cp2000 notice from the irs about me owing $1112.00 from 2011 because I had filed education credits and they can't get proof from my school that that's how much I paid out of pocket. Now it's been 2.5 years later and I don't have proof anymore. What can I do?

Thanks.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Wisconsin

Just got a cp2000 notice from the irs about me owing $1112.00 from 2011 because I had filed education credits and they can't get proof from my school that that's how much I paid out of pocket. Now it's been 2.5 years later and I don't have proof anymore. What can I do?

Thanks.
First...which education credit did you take? Different proof and different requirements are necessary depending upon the specific credit taken. You can certainly get another copy of the 1098T from the school in question. However, if you took the American Opportunity Credit, and claimed expenses that would not be included on the 1098T, then it was your responsibility to keep the receipts to back up those expenses. If you did not, then you may be SOL.

kgeberent

cp2000

Hi, I recieved a cp2000 notice from the irs concerning an education credit I claimed. I responded to the notice by writing a letter and providing documentation supporting my letter and the expenses I claimed. They sent me a letter back saying that no further action was due at this time and I should hear back from them again within 60 days. What does this mean? Should I wait to file my return for 2014 until I hear from them again?

LdiJ

Hi, I recieved a cp2000 notice from the irs concerning an education credit I claimed. I responded to the notice by writing a letter and providing documentation supporting my letter and the expenses I claimed. They sent me a letter back saying that no further action was due at this time and I should hear back from them again within 60 days. What does this mean? Should I wait to file my return for 2014 until I hear from them again?
You really should have started your own thread, however, there is no need to hold up your 2014 return.

davew128

Hi, I recieved a cp2000 notice from the irs concerning an education credit I claimed. I responded to the notice by writing a letter and providing documentation supporting my letter and the expenses I claimed. They sent me a letter back saying that no further action was due at this time and I should hear back from them again within 60 days. What does this mean?
It means "no further action was due at this time and I should hear back from them again within 60 days." If you read and write English as a primary language I think you should be able to figure it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">