• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help Desperatley!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angel100Pure

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Hello, I hope you can help. I've been on long term disability with an insurance co since 2002. They had been taking $700 out of my $1500 monthly check. When I asked why, I never got an answer or they would say it's what you would get if you would get a pension check. I told them that I pulled my pension in 2001 so there would be no pension check. This went on for years. Finally last year someone understood what I was saying, had the amount investigated and plop there is was, the back payment from 2004 to 2009 of $47,000! Now is tax time. I loaned out 1/2 the money expecting it back in January...yeah right....but I calculated the taxes in turbo tax, and it says that I owe $11,000! I called the insurance co and asked them to send me amended w-2s but they wouldn't, so I asked for a break down of when this all happened and in what years and I got that. I was just told by someone who does taxes that because it was their fault with the money, I shouldn't have to claim taxes on this large amount. Normally my yearly income is $11,455 vs 2010 $66,302! Can you help? I'm so afraid to file since I don't have extra money to even make payment arrangements and I don't have a house, I only have my truck and it's only a 98 Ford Explorer.

Thank you in advance.
Angel
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

tranquility

In theory, if you had constructive receipt for the funds in previous years, you could amend the prior years' returns. But, realistically, you are going to be a cash basis taxpayer and you would owe the money this year. In either case, file your return. If you don't the penalty will be severe. It is far less a problem to not pay than it is to not file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">