• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with my 1st basic LLC return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kigsby

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I'm doing our 1st return for a 2 member LLC. Very basic - $18k income, $15k in expenses. I put the $18k on line 1a on the 1065 (gross receipts) and put the $15k in expenses on line 20 - Other deductions, and made a separate statement breaking down the expenses (equipment, gas, supplies,etc). Our bottom line income was $3k. I split that 50/50 and put $1500 on Line 1 (Part III) Ordinary Income on each K-1 form. Is this correct? Are the expenses on the correct line? Should the income on the K-1 be under Self Employment earnings? We haven't paid ourselves any money yet. (We're a band and do it for the love of music, not the money!) It's my first return....I want to make sure we're doing it correctly.Thanks for your help!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I'm doing our 1st return for a 2 member LLC. Very basic - $18k income, $15k in expenses. I put the $18k on line 1a on the 1065 (gross receipts) and put the $15k in expenses on line 20 - Other deductions, and made a separate statement breaking down the expenses (equipment, gas, supplies,etc). Our bottom line income was $3k. I split that 50/50 and put $1500 on Line 1 (Part III) Ordinary Income on each K-1 form. Is this correct? Are the expenses on the correct line? Should the income on the K-1 be under Self Employment earnings? We haven't paid ourselves any money yet. (We're a band and do it for the love of music, not the money!) It's my first return....I want to make sure we're doing it correctly.Thanks for your help!
To be honest, you really shouldn't be trying to do this yourself the first time. You should really have a professional handle it and then if you want to use that return as a template for the future, you can do that.

kigsby

Can't afford it!

I would love to go and have the tax return done professionally, but just don't have the money. I thought it would be a simple return.

tranquility

While it is a simple return, it really would be best to get the template. What were your expenses for? Did you calculate them correctly? Did you buy any stuff?

As to your question at the end, if you work for money, would that be self-employment or ordinary income?

It shouldn't cost you that much for such a return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">