• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help, they have me scared.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DavidEHickey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I live in Ohio, I've been a Trustee of a small 501 C7 private club on and off for about 6 years. From the time I started things were Rocky trying to make ends meet. At one point a year and a half into my 2nd term my fellow Trustees among other things fired our accountant / book keeper. I had enough as I knew nobody on the current board could handle the taxes and such that the Club would require. It was decided a new cheaper book keeper would be hired. They did not hire a new person. I submitted my resigniation. 6 months later or so new elections were held and we got a new Trustee elected. He was a former banker, and everyone thought he was the savior of the Club, he turned things around and gave great financial reports, everything sounded great. He contacted me and asked if I would come back on board as an appointed Trustee to help implement the changes he and a fellow trustee had made. I agreed and 6 months later when elections were held I ran for trustee again and was elected head Trustee "who ever gets the most votes is the head trustee the following year, head Trustee has no additional duties just does the talking at the membership meetings which I elected not to do I let the new Trustee continue leading the meetings" Well the 2 Trustees who had been running things continued to handle all of the financial dealings, we had a drawer with all the daily reciepts and deposits which only those 2 had a key for. The other 3 trustees handled other functions "instant tickets, maintenance, and kitchen". Here is the problem, about a month ago The Trustee's in charge of the finances starting hinting that we may not be able to get our liquor license renewed due to delinquent sales taxes. He said we may have to pay 5,000.00 or so to get them up to date. He went out of town so I decided I would call the State to see what our situation was. It turns out in total we owe over $7,500.00 or more in unpaid sales tax from last year. I was told that This Trustee had made a deal with the Ohio Department of Taxation and got our liquor license on a conditional basis last year dependent on catching up on the sales taxes. No taxes were then paid and she said they could not work with us the amount had to be paid in full, and that the Ohio Attorney Generals office also was owed money that would have to be paid. So in adddition to the $7,500.00 in unpaid taxes for the prior year the Attorney Generals office informed me we owed a minimum of $13,500 for years prior to last years taxes, but had months were no taxes were filed so she did not even know what our final bill was. Apparently no sales taxes had been paid for going on 2 and 1/2 years. I informed her that there was no way we could afford to pay this and asked what our options are. She pretty much said no options if they are not paid they would assess the amount to all of the officers personally and we would personally be liable for the taxes. This got my attention quickly. I'm a non paid volunteer Trustee who had no idea I had any personal liability and had no idea of the situation we were in. The financial end of the Club business for the most part was handled by the 2 financial Trustees. The other Trustees including myself may have had an idea we were behind by a month or so but had no idea how severe the situation was until a week ago when he came right out and said we were 2.5 years behind. I think he realized by that point it was going to come out either way. Could I really be liable for upwards of $23,000.00 ??? Any advice would be appreciated, I don't have a clue what my next course of action should be. Should I just wait until it all caves in and see if they contact me? Or are there proactive steps I should be taking to distance myself from the Club?
Thanks

Last edited:

davew128

It NEVER occurred to you that you might have liability for the misdeeds to the organization, or that maybe, just maybe you should check on tax filing compliance status once every few years?

DavidEHickey

It NEVER occurred to you that you might have liability for the misdeeds to the organization, or that maybe, just maybe you should check on tax filing compliance status once every few years?
Actually it never did, being a small Social Club with 5 Trustees, were Trustees are nominated by members and elected on an annual basis and 2 are up for relection on odd years and 3 on even years and all are non paid volunteers I honestly didn't have a clue. I would not have run for Trustee again had I known that we were already over a year behind in taxes that I would be personally liable for. I had no reason not to believe that the Trustee handling the finances was not paying the sales taxes. He was a former banker and knew without a doubt they were due because he apparently filed alot of the taxes but without payment. Either way I guess yes I was very Naive, but of course will NEVER run for office in a Social club again.

Last edited:

DavidEHickey

And by the way I posted on this forum because it said Free Advice. I realize I may have been way to Naive but your comment really did not help, did not give me any direction on which way to go from here, what my next course of action should be and was pretty much worthless. If you have any ADVICE you could give I'd be love to hear it, but I could do without your comments making me out to be an idiot when I already feel like one. I'm guessing your probably an attorney and the reason most people think they are all *******s.

LdiJ

And by the way I posted on this forum because it said Free Advice. I realize I may have been way to Naive but your comment really did not help, did not give me any direction on which way to go from here, what my next course of action should be and was pretty much worthless. If you have any ADVICE you could give I'd be love to hear it, but I could do without your comments making me out to be an idiot when I already feel like one. I'm guessing your probably an attorney and the reason most people think they are all *******s.
I think that you should consult with a local tax attorney. You are in a sticky situation and you would get your best advice there. I am also assuming that the social club does not have the money, nor could sell anything to raise the money to pay the taxes?

DavidEHickey

I think that you should consult with a local tax attorney. You are in a sticky situation and you would get your best advice there. I am also assuming that the social club does not have the money, nor could sell anything to raise the money to pay the taxes?
Yes your assumption is correct we do not have the money to pay, and since the Trustee in charge of finances already made a deal with them last year and did not follow thru they told me they cannot work with us, the amount must be paid in full. Which means with no liquor license we do not have a means of raising the money necessary and will have to shut the doors. We will have to have an auction to sell all equipment to raise money for the taxes. We do own our building and parking lot out right and they are appraised at roughly $200,000.00 but in todays market with the condition of the building I'm not sure we could give it away. But anyway thanks I agree I think I do need to bite the bullet and get counsel. PS. Sorry about my last post, I'm just frustrated by the whole thing and have no idea whether I just have to wait and let the sh_t hit the fan or if I should be doing something proactive to lessen the inevitable.
Thanks
David

LdiJ

Yes your assumption is correct we do not have the money to pay, and since the Trustee in charge of finances already made a deal with them last year and did not follow thru they told me they cannot work with us, the amount must be paid in full. Which means with no liquor license we do not have a means of raising the money necessary and will have to shut the doors. We will have to have an auction to sell all equipment to raise money for the taxes. We do own our building and parking lot out right and they are appraised at roughly $200,000.00 but in todays market with the condition of the building I'm not sure we could give it away. But anyway thanks I agree I think I do need to bite the bullet and get counsel. PS. Sorry about my last post, I'm just frustrated by the whole thing and have no idea whether I just have to wait and let the sh_t hit the fan or if I should be doing something proactive to lessen the inevitable.
Thanks
David
Most likely you are going to need to be as proactive as possible, but again, get a consult with a local tax attorney before taking any irrevocable action.

davew128

Your guesses would be incorrect. Beyond that, I suggest opening your eyes.

DavidEHickey

Your guesses would be incorrect. Beyond that, I suggest opening your eyes.
LOL so my guess is incorrect? So I take it then that you mingle around a site designed to give free legal advice, while not being an attorney and instead of giving advice you give snotty unproductive comments, which I'm guessing is more than likely because you are not qualified to answer the questions. You must be a big asset to this community. Just a thought but maybe you could start hovering around the suicide forum so you can give advice to suicidal people and let them know that if they didn't screw up their life in the first place they wouldn't need to put a bullet in their head. Your comments so far have been about as helpful.

davew128

LOL so my guess is incorrect? So I take it then that you mingle around a site designed to give free legal advice, while not being an attorney and instead of giving advice you give snotty unproductive comments, which I'm guessing is more than likely because you are not qualified to answer the questions.
Most tax professionals are NOT attorneys. As to my qualifications, well I WROTE many of the questions that are asked on the Enrolled Agent exam. That alone should be more than sufficient.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">