• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some Income tax advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashkul2005

What is the name of your state? CA

I graduated with a doctorate in May 2004. I joined a company in CA and was working full time on my OPT until Oct 1st 2004 after which I received my H1B visa.

For tax purposes, I was on F1 visa from Jan-April, OPT from May-Sept, and H1B from Oct-Dec.

Do I play less taxes for the May-Sept period (When I was on my OPT) as compared to Oct-Dec (When I was working on my H1B)?

Thanks
ashkul2005

abezon

Assuming you have not been in the US too long on your F vise, you simply file as a nonresident for all of 2004. Your effectively connected income (wages) is taxable in the US, subject to any treaty exclusions. You'll need to file the exlcusion of presence days form. As a non-resident, you must itemize your deductions and your possible deductions are limited. you might want to seek professional help. I suggest the college foreign student coordinator or a tax pro near the border with nonresident & treaty experience.

For 2005, you're a full-year resident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">