• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

never filed income taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DD1120

What is the name of your state?new york

My fiance has never filed income taxes in his 50+ years of life. He has worked on the books from time to time or worked as a 1099 employee as well as off the books. This has never been picked up by the IRS. We will not put anything in joint names. How will this affect me if they ever realize that he has never filed. More importantly what will happen to him if they find out.

abezon

It won't affect you at all, until you marry him. Then, his tax debts could drag your credit score down into the gutter. Also, if the IRS decides to start collecting money from him, you'll either have to use the married separate filing status (worse than single), or file injured spouse (no guarantee how much refund, if any, you get). Furthermore, if the IRS is taking most of his money, you'll be supporting the family.

Given his financial challenges, I suggest you live in sin or take advantage of any 'marriage-lite' domestic partner statutes in NY. If you still want to marry someone with maybe $100,000's in debt -- not including legal fees to deal with the IRS criminal division -- get to a lawyer & have an iron-clad pre-nup written so that you are protected.

LdiJ

I am also going to add something here.

He is 50. To date he has no social security credits established and will not be entitled to SS retirement, medicare, or disability.

Therefore, you will be taking on a whole lot more than just his potential IRS debt.

You need to serious re-think your plans.

He still has time to fix the retirement issues if he gets a real job and stays employed for the next 17 - 20 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">