• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new business, how to start paying state income tax ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm a new business in California. I haven't had any customers or even started advertising yet. But I'm trying to figure out how/where to begin to pay state taxes.

I call some number and I get a menu that keeps directing me to more menus and I never get anywhere because I have no idea what options I'm suppose to select.

Even when I get through to somebody, they give me another number to call, which always ends up at just another menu.

Could somebody please tell me where to start this ?

pattytx

For employee withholding, contact the EDD. For other taxes, contact the FTB. You can google the respective web sites.

LdiJ

For employee withholding, contact the EDD. For other taxes, contact the FTB. You can google the respective web sites.
I think that's kind of a bad answer in this instance. The OP hasn't even started operating yet and hasn't even started advertising, and its quite possible that the OP would never go beyond a simple Schedule C.

davew128

I think that's kind of a bad answer in this instance. The OP hasn't even started operating yet and hasn't even started advertising, and its quite possible that the OP would never go beyond a simple Schedule C.
Or our OP has an LLC or a corp and there will be either an $800 or 1.5% of net income tax in the first year. Not to mention BOE and its new sales tax filing requirement. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">