• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Car for my Home Business (Schedule C)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nemgan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Hello and thanks in advance for any advice.

I have a small one-person (me) IT business as a full time job which I started 2 years ago. For tax purposes, I use shelf software and calculating my business net income is easy since my expanses are simple. Around 50% to 75% of my vehicle's use is strictly for business and I do keep records of everything. I am looking to purchase a new car in the next few months. I'm planning on paying around $25K for a used vehicle with $10K down payment and the rest financed. Can anyone please provide some insight on how purchasing a new car would work as a business expense given my situation?

Thanks Again!

Nemgan

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Hello and thanks in advance for any advice.

I have a small one-person (me) IT business as a full time job which I started 2 years ago. For tax purposes, I use shelf software and calculating my business net income is easy since my expanses are simple. Around 50% to 75% of my vehicle's use is strictly for business and I do keep records of everything. I am looking to purchase a new car in the next few months. I'm planning on paying around $25K for a used vehicle with $10K down payment and the rest financed. Can anyone please provide some insight on how purchasing a new car would work as a business expense given my situation?

Thanks Again!

Nemgan
It wouldn't, at least not in the way that you are thinking.

When a person uses a vehicle for business purposes they can either claim mileage (57 1/2 cents per mile for 2015) or they can take actual expenses. Taking actual expenses still requires you to track business miles in order to pro-rate expenses between business and personal use. Mileage, in nearly every case, turns out to be better than actual expenses.

Buying the car itself is not a deductible expense. Depreciation would be if you chose to claim actual expenses instead of mileage, but the rules for depreciating a mixed use vehicle are very complex and not particularly favorable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">