• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Consultant - State Tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ch082762

Consultant - State Tax

ch082762 said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
I have recently started working as a consultatnt on a year long project in Boston. I have a permanent residence in Tampa, Florida, and travel there every other week. The consulting company I am employed with is located in Connecticut, and I am paid out of that office, even though my assignment is in Boston. My question is do I have to pay Massachusetts state tax on my earnings? Florida does not have a state tax, Massachusetts and Connecticut do.

abezon

Since you are working in Boston, you'll have to pay MA state taxes. However, since this is a temporary job, all travel expenses (living quarters, meal allowance per diem, utilities, phone, transportation back & forth between home & MA (depending), etc) & other expenses (laptop, etc) are deductible on Schedule A/Form 2106. See a tax pro for assistance at tax time. Ask for someone with experience doing 2106s.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">