• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New York City Internship, Tax implications

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scoutpup

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
My son is a full-time student and resident of Maryland, and performed a 10-week internship last summer in New York City. This was a paid internship, and he rented an apartment for this 10-week period, as it was the most affordable option. What tax forms must be filed with NY State and/or NY City, and to what extent will he owe taxes to either the State or the City? Thanks for your help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
My son is a full-time student and resident of Maryland, and performed a 10-week internship last summer in New York City. This was a paid internship, and he rented an apartment for this 10-week period, as it was the most affordable option. What tax forms must be filed with NY State and/or NY City, and to what extent will he owe taxes to either the State or the City? Thanks for your help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
He is going to owe taxes to NY and NYC as either a part year resident or a non-resident. Since this was a school related internship I waffle as to whether he was a non-resident or part year resident. The taxes due will be based on the money he earned there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">