• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New York state tax deduction refund?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbradshaw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi all,

I have been told and I am trying to find the validity and possible reason why I heard that you can deduct your state taxes paid at closing on your tax return?

This may only apply to a New York return from what I understand.

Theory:
The amount of state taxes paid at closing can be refunded to you as a tax credit and you get a check for the refunded amount. Now I know someone who has done this with success and I saw the check. I am trying to figure out the logic behind why a state would collect the tax, then refund it if filed for. Is this only applicable to NY?

Any help is appreciated

FlyingRon

I'm not familiar with NY (I've been a property owner in NJ, MD, VA, and NC).
If there is an outright CREDIT for some taxes paid at closing in NY, that would be a unique feature to NY. You should consult a tax professional there. Usually, all you get to do is take a deduction. Taxes at closing typically are just treated like any other taxes paid, they may be taken as itemized deductions.

dbradshaw

Thanks FlyingRon!!

Are there any NY tax gurus around that may be able to shed some knowledge and light on this question?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">