• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ - vehicle title without tax for resale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksorce

NJ - How can I purchase a used car in NJ and process the title so I can export the car to my relative in Europe? If I take a signed over title to the DMV and want to put it in my name I have to pay sales tax. I do not believe I can put the car into my relative's name since he is not a NJ resident. Customs requires a clean title in either my name or my relatives name to be able to process the paperwork to ship the car. I called the Division of taxation in NJ and they were not sure of what tax exempt forms should be used for this transaction and what the DMV would accept. The person at taxation thought an ST-3 might work, but that doesn't seem correct. Any ideas?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">