• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NOL Carryforward/carryback

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattisb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I am the sole member of an LLC. Last year I reported a NOL on my schedule C, but didn't file a 1045 specifying if I wave the right to carry back the loss and instead prefer to carry it forward. I would like to apply this NOL to my 2009 return. Is this still possible? If not, can I still apply it to a previous years return even if my LLC was not in existence? For example, could I apply it to the taxes I paid on wages in 2005? Any advice or assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Barrett

davew128

I disagree. This isn't a 2009 NOL, it's a 2008 NOL. The time to file an amended return with a late election to waive the carryback period has expired. The NOL must be carried back two years. The time frame for choosing a 3-5 year carryback period expired last October at the same time as the election to waive the carryback period. At this late date, there are no other alternatives.

mattisb

And if I have no losses in 06 or 07, can i then carry it forward to 09? How would I go about doing this? Can I apply NOL from my current business to taxes I paid on other types of income in 06? Thanks for the helpful replies!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">