• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non custodial parent and IRS dependency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Subandera

What is the name of your state? Florida
I am the non custodial parent of 3 children. I just had a child support modification hearing yeasterday in which one of the items I asked to be modified was the IRS exemptions. On my spouse's financial statement he stated he ws unemployed and monthly gross income was only $5. I pay approx $1400 in support, so obviously I support the children far more than 50%. The judge put a "hold" on that item, stating he knew of no Florida law stating he could order my ex to sign over the children as my dependants for tax purposes. I need someone to help me with this... I have looked thru all the Florida statutes I knew to look at and can't find it anywhere. I have also looked on the IRS web site but i really did not understand what I was reading there. If the jduge does not rule in my favor on this I WILL file an appeal but I need to have documentation to back up my case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">