• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Filer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

armydog

What is the name of your state?Ca.I'm looking for some advice.I have'nt filed an Income Tax Return(Fed or State) in so long I ca'nt remember the last time I did file.I've always had taxes withheld from my payroll it just seems that every year I would owe a couple of hundred dollars that I did'nt have so I just blew off filing.Up until 2001 I do'nt think my income EVER got above National Poverty Level.Until I was laid off December'04 my income was starting to get up around $40K & I figured I better get this mess cleared up before it was too late.Problem is I've been out of work 4 months now & I CAN NOT AFFORD A LAWYER to help me clear this up.So can someone tell me were to start & which direction to go in this matter.Thanks for the help.

tdavidl

start digging up as much of your past tax records as possible, w-2's, 1099's, 1098's, check-book, credit card, etc.

organize by year, go to www.irs.gov & see how far back their forms go.

they also have instructions from prior years, print them out as well.

it's up to you.

Snipes5

If your records are incomplete or missing, you can go to the IRS office nearest you and request printouts for every year they have on file. That is a handy way to prepare your returns, using IRS records. That way you send them as a return exactly what they already have. This will make them very happy, since they love to match their records with returns.

I think they only go back to 1994, but I could be wrong on that one.

If that is as far back as they go, that is all I would file, because beyond that stuff has fallen off their system, and they won't have a record of it.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">