• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non irs tax filer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?FL

I know someone who has a very good job and makes pretty good money (55K) He is single, has no dependants. He has not filed any tax returns for 6-7 years even though his company makes FIT and FICA payments. What is the best advice for him to get out of this situation? :eek:

Thank you for any responses.

abezon

File the frickin' returns. He's lost any refunds for years prior to 2002, but he can get the last 3 years' refunds.

Chances are the IRS has not complained because he's due a refund & the govt is always happy to keep our money.

Thanks for your response. He should know better, but thinks he could be arrested for non-filing.

From your post is appears he is due a refund and that is why he has not been contacted. :D

Will he get in trouble with the IRS or should he go ahead and file the returns as you have stated? If so, should he go ahead and file all three years?

Last edited:

abezon

The refund part is a guess. There's no penalty for filing returns late unless he owes $$. The penalty is based on the amount owed.

LdiJ

rosier2000 said:
Thanks for your response. He should know better, but thinks he could be arrested for non-filing.

From your post is appears he is due a refund and that is why he has not been contacted. :D

Will he get in trouble with the IRS or should he go ahead and file the returns as you have stated? If so, should he go ahead and file all three years?
Yes, I would recommend that he file all three years. I suspect that he will find that he is due a refund for all of the years. In fact, he can file for 4 years now (or almost now)...2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005. He should at least have a tax preparer run all the numbers....then if he actually owes taxes he should consult a tax attorney.

Realistically he probably doesn't owe if he hasn't heard from the IRS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">