• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Obligated Spouse Form question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Sorry I have 3 questions:

1. I have to pay back unemployment benefits. I have not recieved a letter stating that they are going to take my state taxes, but they took it last year without sending me a letter that they were going to do so. I make monthly payments back to them, can they still take it?

2. I want to use the Non-Obligated Spouse Form 743 for my spouses part of the refund, the Michigan Tax site says that you can not request the form that it is given to you after you file your taxes. Will this be sent to me by the state or do I need to request that my tax preparer provide the form, and is there a charge for it?

3. Unemployment payback stays at the state level, or can they go also after my federal return?

Thanks.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Sorry I have 3 questions:

1. I have to pay back unemployment benefits. I have not recieved a letter stating that they are going to take my state taxes, but they took it last year without sending me a letter that they were going to do so. I make monthly payments back to them, can they still take it?

2. I want to use the Non-Obligated Spouse Form 743 for my spouses part of the refund, the Michigan Tax site says that you can not request the form that it is given to you after you file your taxes. Will this be sent to me by the state or do I need to request that my tax preparer provide the form, and is there a charge for it?

3. Unemployment payback stays at the state level, or can they go also after my federal return?

Thanks.
If they took it last year without notifying you, its likely that they will do it again this year, even if you are making installment payments.

If the tax site says that you cannot request the form and that it is given to you after you file your taxes, then the state will give it to you after you file your taxes. You may or may not want to ask a preparer to assist you with the form.

Technically they probably can go after your federal refund, since its a state debt, but my state (Indiana) doesn't do it and I haven't specifically heard people mention it being done in other states.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">