• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non qualified stock options

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rphjoe

What is the name of your state? NJ
:confused: 1st time selling nqso and having a hard time with turbo tax. I filled out schedule D with same day sale info, cost basis, proceeds, etc. Came out with a small net loss due to fees. I believe that part is fine but there is a "check box" stating "Taxes were withheld on this sale". Not sure if it should be checked off or not? If I do check it, my return increases by the federal tax I add in the tax amount withheld box. The exercise gain is listed in box 12c code V of my w2 form.
I don't think the box should be checked but don't want to give up money if I am wrong!

Thanks in advance for your help, Joe

Snipes5

Only check the box if the brokerage withheld taxes from the proceeds.

They would only do this if you are either a non-resident alien, or are subject to "backup withholding" due to not having paid income taxes on previous stock transactions.

If no tax was withheld, and listed on the 1099B, don't check the box.

Snipes

rphjoe

Snipes5 said:
Only check the box if the brokerage withheld taxes from the proceeds.

They would only do this if you are either a non-resident alien, or are subject to "backup withholding" due to not having paid income taxes on previous stock transactions.

If no tax was withheld, and listed on the 1099B, don't check the box.

Snipes
Thank you, I did not think it should be checked but wanted to be sure, as this is the 1st time with stock options.

Joe

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">