• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nonresident(?) State Tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krishna_rao

What is the name of your state? NJ

Hello,

I am new to this forum and so, please, excuse if this is a repeat question. I am a H-1B nonimmigrant Software Engineer working at a client site in New Jersey for a Software Consulting Services firm registered and based in the state of Illinois. My company withholds IL state taxes. Is this correct? Or should my company withhold NJ taxes for me? I claimed nonresident status with IL and requested a refund. Separately, I paid NJ taxes alongwith the return filed to NJ. Did I do this correctly? Please comment.

Thank you for you time.

Krishna

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state? NJ

Hello,

I am new to this forum and so, please, excuse if this is a repeat question. I am a H-1B nonimmigrant Software Engineer working at a client site in New Jersey for a Software Consulting Services firm registered and based in the state of Illinois. My company withholds IL state taxes. Is this correct? Or should my company withhold NJ taxes for me? I claimed nonresident status with IL and requested a refund. Separately, I paid NJ taxes alongwith the return filed to NJ. Did I do this correctly? Please comment.

Thank you for you time.

Krishna
If you reside in New Jersey, then you are right that your company should be withholding NJ taxes. It sounds like you did the right thing when you filed.

abezon

Barring further info like your dates of residence in IL & NJ, it sounds like you did it right. You should probably tell payroll to withhold NJ taxes & not IL taxes. If they won't, ask the state of NJ to send them a letter. That usually gets results. If the company has not been withholding NJ taxes this year, you need to be sending estimated quarterly payments to NJ.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">