• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nonresident-turn-resident. Nonresident again?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goldenboy

Reply to self: Further investigation of IRS publications on Aliens, Self-Employment taxes suggest that the 5 year cap may be cumulative and it's best to be on the safe side here. Stay as resident, pay SE taxes and move on.

Hi,

I claimed non-residence for tax purposes as a J1 (exchange) student for 5 tax years. I then reached the 5-year exempt status cap and simultaneously switched to an H1B, so I became a resident for tax purposes and started paying SS and MediCare like most everyone else in the States.

Come 2007, I switched to F1 student status and still filed as a resident.

For the entire 2008 tax year, however, I was an F1 student. I worked for a month as a consultant and received a 1099-MISC instead of my regular W2.

If I continue filing as a resident, I should pay federal and state taxes plus self-employment taxes.

Can I claim non-residency based on my current F1 student status and just pay the federal and state taxes? I.e. claim exempt status from SS/MediCare/self-employment taxes?

The IRS publications are a bit nebulous about the 5-year cap of claiming non-resident status. They don't elaborate if these are 5 consecutive years, or any 5 years in my lifetime... Could you please help me understand?

Many thanks

Last edited:

LdiJ

Reply to self: Further investigation of IRS publications on Aliens, Self-Employment taxes suggest that the 5 year cap may be cumulative and it's best to be on the safe side here. Stay as resident, pay SE taxes and move on.

Hi,

I claimed non-residence for tax purposes as a J1 (exchange) student for 5 tax years. I then reached the 5-year exempt status cap and simultaneously switched to an H1B, so I became a resident for tax purposes and started paying SS and MediCare like most everyone else in the States.

Come 2007, I switched to F1 student status and still filed as a resident.

For the entire 2008 tax year, however, I was an F1 student. I worked for a month as a consultant and received a 1099-MISC instead of my regular W2.

If I continue filing as a resident, I should pay federal and state taxes plus self-employment taxes.

Can I claim non-residency based on my current F1 student status and just pay the federal and state taxes? I.e. claim exempt status from SS/MediCare/self-employment taxes?

The IRS publications are a bit nebulous about the 5-year cap of claiming non-resident status. They don't elaborate if these are 5 consecutive years, or any 5 years in my lifetime... Could you please help me understand?

Many thanks
You need the assistance of a tax professional for this one. Its going to require research and none of us have the time or energy to do research for free at this time of year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">