• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not filing with husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

floridawildfire

What is the name of your state? I live in Florida.

My husband of ten years lives in Maryland. We have not lived together in four years. He continue to file taxes listing me and my two daughters as dependents. I believe this has lessened my daughters chances of getting financial aid for college. Hubby pays my health insurance through the military as well as my car insuracne. That's all. My income is a tort check from a third party.

What can I do to insure my kids get a fair shake applying for college monies?

Happy Trails

floridawildfire said:
What is the name of your state? I live in Florida.

My husband of ten years lives in Maryland. We have not lived together in four years. He continue to file taxes listing me and my two daughters as dependents. I believe this has lessened my daughters chances of getting financial aid for college. ***What gave you that idea? Hubby pays my health insurance through the military as well as my car insuracne. That's all. My income is a tort check from a third party.

What can I do to insure my kids get a fair shake applying for college monies?
The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) goes by the parents income. He is a parent, so you will have to go by both of your incomes to see if they qualify. He had every right to claim them as dependents; that doesnt hurt their chances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">