• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not getting back state ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluesmap

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New York State

i filed my federal and state taxes on the 14th. i got my federal back in a few days via direct deposit. i was wondering why i didnt get my state back so i called today and did the automated steps via telephone. it stated that on my form i didnt say that i wanted to get back my refund.

so now...im wondering if im screwed because i really need that money.

IS THERE ANYWAY WAY possible to still get my money from the state??

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New York State

i filed my federal and state taxes on the 14th. i got my federal back in a few days via direct deposit. i was wondering why i didnt get my state back so i called today and did the automated steps via telephone. it stated that on my form i didnt say that i wanted to get back my refund.

so now...im wondering if im screwed because i really need that money.

IS THERE ANYWAY WAY possible to still get my money from the state??
That's a VERY local question and we would need to know the exact words that were used (rather than your interpretation of them) to even remotely be able to help you.

I suggest that you call again on Monday, but instead of picking a menu option that gets you the automated system, try to get a menu option that gets you to a live person. You may have to hold for quite a while.

Dandy Don

Did you send your state return in by postal mail or was it sent electronically by a tax preparer? DId you prepare your return yourself or did someone else do it? How much is your refund? Did you keep paper copies of your return where you could possibly see where you made your mistake?

Most states have a form for filing an amended return and you should be able to find a website for your state tax authority where you could get the amended return. If you are uncertain whether your amended return is filled out correctly, you may want to have a second party (a savvy business person or relative or a local tax preparer) look at it to make sure it's done correctly this time.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">