• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not paid in full but time to file taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swapafzal

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Tennessee
I am presently on H1 visa.
My previous company owed me a lot as it was irregular in its salary payment.It has sent me post-dated checks now ($8K)which stretch untill the end of May.The company has sent me the W2(which is correct)for the period i was employed with them.My questions are:
--Can i file for taxes even though i have not been paid in full yet??
--If the company stops payment of the checks later,can i sue them or will i be at fault too,as i have filed for taxes without actually getting paid off my dues??
--If i do not file taxes this year,(will do it next year),will i be penalized??
Please advice me.Thanks!
-Nil

Snipes5

This is wrong on so many levels.

See an Enrolled Agent. You can possibly file using the accrual method, but that can turn into a complicated mess.

You could also just call their bank every day, and as soon as the sum of the money is there, cash the checks, the bank will honor them, and there isn't a damn thing the company can do about it.

Writing postdated checks is a risk that only a fool would take, since once it is written, it CAN be cashed at any time.

Last edited:

swapafzal

Thanks a ton for the reply.The reason i was given post-dated checks was that there would be insufficient funds if i cash any check early.I have already experienced that once.
Can i file for my taxes next year??Or will i be penalized??
If i file the taxes and then cash the checks later,will i be actually doing anything unlawful??
Please throw some light on the above questions.And what/who is an enrolled agent??
Many thanks!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">