• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure I am in the right room??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AsphaltAngel41

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
I run a small home based ferret shelter. I have not taken in and money on donations yet. I just put the button on my website. I want to do a fundraiser to raise money to add two rooms for the shelter. What do I need to do to stay with in the law? I want to do this legally. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance for your help.

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
I run a small home based ferret shelter. I have not taken in and money on donations yet. I just put the button on my website. I want to do a fundraiser to raise money to add two rooms for the shelter. What do I need to do to stay with in the law? I want to do this legally. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance for your help.
What, exactly, do you want to know?

AsphaltAngel41

Well, I dont know. Hmmm I want to run this shelter like it is suppose to be and be on the up an up with the law. What are some of the things I should do to keep it legal. I do not know the tax laws and stuff. So I dont even know what questions I should be asking.

tranquility

You can put it on your schedule C. I'd be willing to bet you won't make a profit over your expenses, so even listing it as a hobby won't hurt you if you don't mind forgetting the loss. If you want the donors to get a tax deduction, you need to file for non-profit status from the IRS.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Have you already established that running an animal shelter out of your home is in accordance with local zoning, and you are in compliance with all vaccination and record-keeping requirements?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">