• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY: How to Report Tax Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kavontrebor

I work in a small business and I have overheard the owners a number of times discussing how they will avoid paying their full share of taxes to New York State.

I understand most of the details of their schemes and want to report them. How do I make a report and keep my name confidential.

Thank you
KT

vrzirn

Planning or discussing tax evasion is not the same as doing it.
If they have done it and you wish to bring an audit down on their heads, call the Sate Franchise Tax Board. Call the IRS as well, because they go hand in hand.
You are a loyal, hard-working, under-paid employee and a citizen who seeks revenge for some patriotic motive. If any subsequent investigation pans out due to your eaves-dropping, you might also be out of a job.
You may report as anon.

Last edited:
L

loku

I agree with everything vrzirn said except that in NY, the agency to contact is not the Franchise Tax Board, that is the name of the California tax authority.

The following is from the NYS Tax Department Web Site:

To report allegations that taxpayers have not filed tax returns, failed to report all their income, failed to register to collect sales tax, failed to register to sell tobacco products, or are selling untaxed liquor or motor fuel, write to:
NYS Tax Department
Office of Tax Enforcement
1740 Broadway
New York, NY 10019-4357

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">