• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY star program

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steffb503

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I am eligible for a school tax rebate under the star program. The registration must include all property owners and their spouses Social Security numbers.
Here in lies the problem. I own this property with my sister. Both our names are on the deed. We are both married. Her husband refuses to give his SS#.

Is there any way to keep her on the deed with out her being an owner?
Right of survivor ship?
Thanks
Steff

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I am eligible for a school tax rebate under the star program. The registration must include all property owners and their spouses Social Security numbers.
Here in lies the problem. I own this property with my sister. Both our names are on the deed. We are both married. Her husband refuses to give his SS#.

Is there any way to keep her on the deed with out her being an owner?
Right of survivor ship?
Thanks
Steff
She's married to a guy whose SSN she doesn't know? How the heck did they get a marriage license?

Anyway, no, she can't be on the deed and not be an owner. But there are other ways of getting someone's SSN without having to ask them for it. Might want to look into one of those.

OHRoadwarrior

The income limit applies to all owners, and any owner's spouse who resides at the property. If he does not live there, his SS appears to not be needed.

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/eligibility.htm

RRevak

She's married to a guy whose SSN she doesn't know? How the heck did they get a marriage license?

Anyway, no, she can't be on the deed and not be an owner. But there are other ways of getting someone's SSN without having to ask them for it. Might want to look into one of those.
Psst, i've been with my husband for years and still don't know his SSN. Have to dig in the file cabinet for it every time. :cool: :p

steffb503

The income limit applies to all owners, and any owner's spouse who resides at the property. If he does not live there, his SS appears to not be needed.

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/eligibility.htm
No all owners regardless if they live there or not must give SS#.
Needless to say it is not the best of marriages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">