• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYS Income Tax Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needadive

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

There is a new question on the NYS Income Tax form asking How many days do you spend in New York City?

I am not on any lease in New York City and do not own any property in New York City nor do I work there. I also vote, have my bank statement, and have my bills from my home address outside the city. I do however spend time in the city with my girlfriend.

Is there any way I could be considered a New York City resident based on this for tax purposes.

Thanks

tranquility

Yes. New York is weird. If you merely fart in their general direction, they think they have a right to tax you.

While you may not have a tax due, they will try to get you for anything they can. Driving through on the way to work, phoning in to the home office in the city, anything.

tranquility

Only if your mother is a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. (NY tax law is odd.)

But, if the EPA decides to regulate greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide, all bets are off.

xylene

Note - it is not not one question...

The questions are quite specific and is not ambiguous.

I suggest you read the IT 201 instructions.

(E) is in two parts.

Do you maintain a dwelling

and

How many days in NYC...

Sleeping at your girlfriend's (and your girlfriend is not your spouse) apartment, assuming that it is solely hers (ie you have no exclusive rights to it - its not your place) does not on its face make you a taxable NYC resident.

Based on the facts you present here you I am of the opinion you would answer the question NO and ZERO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">