• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Odd question about dependants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JenBabydoll

What is the name of your state? Wyoming

I have been engaged for two years and we live together. I am however recieving food stamps and medicaid for the kids and myself. So, my fiance and I have a seperation of household as far as that is concerned so that the kids are able to have health insurance. This year he is really pushing me to let him claim me and the kids as dependants because I really didn't work much this year. In fact I only made $2000 in gross wages this year. Yes, he did pay most of the bills and we lived with him for the whole year. I guess my question is this: Can he claim us on his taxes without a penalty arising from the welfare system on my part? And, since he can't get the EIC on the kids, can I still file to get that?
By penalty from the welfare system, I am meaning will I wind up having to pay back the welfare system if my fiance claims me and my kids as dependants since in order to get the welfare in the first place I had to do a seperation of household.
Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!!!!!
Jen

Snipes5

Yes, you will probably get in trouble with the welfare people. If you are living with someone else who is supporting you and your kids, you should not be getting food stamps.

You can get the EIC, however, whether he claims you or not.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">