• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Property Taxes - incredibly strange problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amandarez

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I have the strangest problem that I am hoping to get some advice on. I have already contacted my title insurance company but am getting the run-around.

Here's the problem.

In 2004 my parents purchased a house in Richmond, VA. I purchased it from them in 2007. Both of us had title insurance - there were no back taxes due. Since 2004, I have been paying the property taxes each year - have received one bill and have paid it ontime and in full.

In 2008 - I received a tax bill with my name on it and addressed to my address (4500) for the property of 4502. Current AND back taxes equaling about $1000. As far as I was aware there was NO 4502 nor did I own it. I called the city, explained the situation and was told to ignore the bill (yes, I know I should have gotten written confirmation).

Heard nothing until I was served. I have a court date next week.

I have since gone down to the city to find out what is going on. Here's what I was told in the City Assessment office.

My property - 4500 - has a plot that describes it as 68' wide by 135' deep. But according to the city's records - 4500 is 55' wide and 4502 is 13' wide.

When I purchased the property, someone noticed it in the City and "merged" the two properties. But it somehow triggered the back tax bill being sent to my house. The back taxes go back about 10 years.

I have spoken to the lawyer who handled the sale AND the title insurance company but my feeling is that they are going to try to get out of it by saying that they only insured 4500 - but their own plot shows 4500 was 68' wide. I tried to explain that no matter what they called it, they insured 68' - which is both 4500 and 4502.

But the time is FAST approaching that I have to either get it resolved or pay it.

So I guess my question is:
Am I responsible for back taxes on a property - from a period I did not own it.
What City department should I talk to to try to get the debt canceled out
If I end up having to pay it - should I sue in small claims court the title insurance company?

Thank you.

FlyingRon

Your best interest is to pay the tax bill and pursue the title insurance company.
There appears to be no doubt that the taxes are owed at least since 2004.

You can probably start your search here...

Department of Finance

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">