• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Other state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clf495

What is the name of your state?Mo
Try to follow me here...
Girl is originally from Missouri, but there is nothing binding her ( no land no home nothing in her name for state of MO) In 2003, she worked n a different state where she oaid state tax. She didnt file her taxes and is now recieving papers from IRS showing she owes MO state tax. How can this be?
This is not me, but my mother. This is what I have gathered so far let me know if you need more info because I could sure use some advice other than get a lawyer. i just want to know if it is possible.

abezon

Well, see, your mum should be the one posting here. You've already got 1 miscommunication -- the IRS won't send letters about MO taxes. MO does that.

MO can tax its residents and people who work in MO. If she changed residence, she can present proof of this to MO & they should drop the case. Proof would include voter registration, car registration, license, etc. If she was living in MO & working in another state, she should see a local tax pro & file a MO return. There may be a compact between the states that would help her.

clf495

thank you for replying...

If she had Missouri tags on a vehicle (wasnt being used) will that make any difference or can she still get ti dropped?
how long would it take to get it dropped?

efflandt

That last statement contradicts the first post that there was nothing tying her to MO. What state is her driver's license? Was a MO address on her federal taxes or paycheck (even if for direct deposit)?

It is not uncommon for various departments within a state to compare notes (dept. of revenue, DMV, conservation dept.). For example someone may register a vehicle in a different state for lower registration fees, or get a resident hunting or fishing license (don't ask me how I know that).

If she lives near the border and works in another state, there are likely recipricol aggreements between states that should be explained on each state's non-resident tax forms and instructions. So she may need to file a non-resident form for one of the states involved.

If the only thing tying her to MO is the vehicle, that may not be a big deal, unless the state she does live in finds out (if they have higher registration fee as a form of personal property tax).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">