• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overdue Tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keepitusslee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

Hello,

I recently got a letter that my wife has some overdue taxes from income as a private contractor in 2011. We are both in medical training and have a ton of outstanding student loan debt and essentially nothing in assets. The outstanding taxes are approx 9k. Is it possible to file an OIC (offer in compromise)? Any other avenue I can take to negotiate the amount? I would like to at least see if they can get rid of the approx 1500$ in tax understatement penalty.

Thanks

LdiJ

Hello,

I recently got a letter that my wife has some overdue taxes from income as a private contractor in 2011. We are both in medical training and have a ton of outstanding student loan debt and essentially nothing in assets. The outstanding taxes are approx 9k. Is it possible to file an OIC (offer in compromise)? Any other avenue I can take to negotiate the amount? I would like to at least see if they can get rid of the approx 1500$ in tax understatement penalty.

Thanks
Did you and your wife file a joint tax return for 2011? The IRS is not going to accept an OIC unless you can pay a lump sum now that is greater than what they believe that they can collect from you before the statute of limitations expires (10 years). There is almost no chance that they would consider abating the penalty either in a case like this one.

If you didn't file a joint return you might be able to reduce the balance due by amending your taxes to joint, but that would make you both liable for the tax if you did not previously file jointly.

Your best bet would be to set up an installment agreement. The IRS is very reasonable about those.

swalsh411

Looks like one or both of you is going to have to get a part-time job.

The wikipedia article on OIC is pretty good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offer_in_compromise

davew128

If you/she otherwise has a clean filing history you should be able to request an abatement of the understatement penalty and receive it based on your filing record.

LdiJ

If you/she otherwise has a clean filing history you should be able to request an abatement of the understatement penalty and receive it based on your filing record.
I haven't had much luck with penalty abatements lately.

LdiJ

It requires persistence and either good facts or something you can point to in the IRM.
I used to have pretty good luck with them. I know how to argue the points. Its just in the last couple of years persistence doesn't seem to cut it anymore.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hello,

Thanks
Were you married to your wife in 2009? Why did you receive a letter if your wife has not paid taxes?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">