• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overlapping Districts as Cause of Taxpayer Delinquency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmdprice

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I have small acreage located in a Texas county to which I have consistently paid property taxes. However, unknown to me, school property taxes are determined and collected in an adjacent county or "overlapping district. Back taxes, penalties, interest and attorney fees have accrued over a nine year period during which I had received valuation notices only from the country in which the property is located. I apparently did not receive such notices from other overlapping (or "school taxation") county due to their retention of a 30 year old address different from the current one filed and maintained by the country in which the property is actually located and to which all taxes (excepting the school district tax) has been paid. I realize that property owners are responsible for rendering property and providing current address information, but how can one do so if they have no idea that their propety is being taxed by an overlapping jurisdiction. This fact, coupled with the failure of the overlapping jurisdictions to share proprety ownership information would seem to me irregular for several reasons to include the asessment of unfair penalties, intererest and attorney fees as well as the abrogation of taxpayer protest rights over than nine year period in which different property valuations were being made by the "school tax" district.

Do I have any recourse? Also, if I just let the property go to forfieture and sheriffs sale, will it impact an otherwise sterling credit rating?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">